Monday, October 21, 2013

October 7, 2013



 Maranda how are you?
 it seems like it was only last week I was talking to you. Oh wait it was last week that I talked to you. I got a letter from josh and it sounds like little screecher is doing pretty good. I bet if you go see the family during Christmas time that Mom will have some prime presents for her sitting under that green home grown Washington tree. If things turn out right I will be in Brazil by then or that's what I am assuming because I put my visa papers in clear back in march so its only been like 7 months, no big deal. I just wouldn't mind going to Brazil before it gets cold here. And if I do leave here in the winter I would be going to Brazil in there summer. Crazy. That could be a slight adjustment.
Well the work here is going. Some days are kind of slow but its all good in the Hood especially the hood of Reading PA. Its only kind of hood here I guess. Yesterday I was walking down a street and I passed a guy peeing on a fence on the side of the road. Also I was told to be careful around here because it can be kind of ghetto. But so far nothing too much which I guess is a good thing if you think about it.
Yesterday before I saw the guy peeing, I walked past a church and there was a person on the steps who invited us to go in and pray with them and learn more. It wasn't your normal church though it was like an Muslim church called the church of Islamic something. This guy was talking to us for a while about their prayers and there prayer circles they do in the morning and how they do other things and something about Allah. The door was also open and I could see people inside sitting cross legged on the floor with like their little prayer bed things that the guy on the steps had and just told us about. And the people inside were looking at me and elder callister like, we were weird like "what are those Christian white boys doing out side our church?" It was a little weird. And while the guy was talking to us there was a guy who had a mic and started to do like a prayer call into the mic in a different language. Usually the only language I here out here is Spanish English and ghetto. We had to go after a while because we had to go to an appointment. Which is a slight bummer because we would have went in too. And the appointment ended up falling through.
            I had a cool experience this week. Elder Callister let me lead in where we were going to go and what we were going to do so I went to visit some people who were potential investigators and former investigators. At one house no one was there so I decided to knock on the neighbors door to see if they new there neighbor and use that as an excuse to break the ice and find if they want to learn more.
Well I was talking to the women and she looked kind of preoccupied like she was cooking so she asked if I wanted to talk to the husband. So I said sure and he invited us in. That never happens. It was cool because the guy was Dominican and spoke only Spanish with us and I actually understood him and talked to him a decent amount. He was from a different faith and shared some scriptures with us from the bible. I also noticed he had a guitar next to his piano so I  asked him if I could play it or use it and he said sure. So I played a little bit and then he did. He was amazing. And he played like a Spanish style of guitar with a lot of finger plucking.
Also he could sing beautifully and played songs and sang them in Spanish that were from his church. Then my companion Elder callister who is a great singer, started to sing songs out of his small Spanish hymn book. The guy then started playing cords that went along. it was really cool and he even sang some of the songs from our hymn book that was also probably from his book to so it was really cool. Then we had to go and got a return appointment and left. We also told him about conference and we showed him how to get there from his laptop. It was legit. Then we ended with a prayer and left happy and energized. A good day.
          Conference was great and I liked a lot of the talks. The priesthood session had a lot of the best ones I thought. I also liked the one that talked about enduring and being spiritually fit and he talked about playing basketball in college and running the cross-country course. I liked that one because I like sports and it made me think about running and that's something I have been doing with elder Jorgensen in the morning.
    Anyway conference was good. Even though it was a little ghetto at first they couldn't get it to come in through the satellite so they had it on a laptop and they hooked it up to the projector and then they used the microphone to be next to the laptop for sound however by the time the priesthood session came, a guy there found this box thing that hooked up to the sound system. So it was cool. Well I love you a lot and have to go talk to you latter Love always-elder Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment